Friday, July 24, 2009

Grunter landed with first cast!




Felt like a short fishing trip this morning. So I took my frozen left-over sand worms from the previous trip along with me to the jetty at Carl's Junior.
When I reached the jetty, I noticed that the tide was really low (about 0 meter) and all the rocks were showing along the 2 sides of the jetty.
I took a fat sand worm, defrosted by now, hooked it up and casted out on my 8-ft rod. The cast was not so powerful and the weight landed not too far off. But I let it be anyway.
Then I went about getting busy setting up my other rods.
Suddenly the bells rang, and I quickly retrieved my line. I felt something strong on the other end - stronger than usual!
Nonetheless, it was not able to counter the drag and was slowly being reeled back.
When the fish came near, it put up a bigger fight (and the line was pulled away a few times) and finally I saw a big grunter on the other end of the line. I was elated!
Determined not to lose it while lifting it out of the water, I fought it awhile longer to tire it out. Then I dragged it towards the shallow rocks, and lifted it out from there - in case the line broke, the fish would still be on the rocks.
When I finally landed the fish, I discovered that the clip has already openned up! Must have been forced open during the fight. Thank God I did not lose the fish! (From now on, I'll make sure I use stronger clips.)
I'm now more convinced about using worms. The last time I used sarong, I caught a sizable stingray. This time I used sand worm, I caught a sizable grunter.
Thank you God, tonight's dinner will be delicious steam fish :)

No comments: