Sunday, December 6, 2009

War Declared with Sea Bass of 6-Pipe

Went fishing at 6-pipe with a bag of live prawns.
Originally intended to cast out into the sea. But because the jetty was crowded, I fished at the long-kang side instead.
The time was 1pm and it was at its highest tide of 3m.
I lowered an apollo rig with size 1 hook and live prawn into the opening of the 3rd drain with my 10ft rod. I used a super heavy weight so that it would not drift into the drain. The water flow is super fast.
Within minutes, the bell rang. Upon retrieving I saw the prawn 3/4 eaten.
I changed in a new live prawn and re-lowered. Within minutes, bell rang again! I retrieved line and found the hook missing!
I retied a new hook and re-lowered the 3rd prawn. Within minutes bell rang again!!! This time, it was hooked on. A big fish! It fought hard. After a short fight it dash right into the covered drain. Must be a sea-bass!
Now the tragedy... because I was ill-prepared to fight a sea bass and was using only thin 30 pound line, it snapped on abrasion with the cement drain edge.

This is my first close combat with a huge sea bass. It is indeed a formidable enemy. Cannot be subdued easily. Not even the 3kg stingray I just caught comes close in terms of its fighting strategy and spirit. Basically, sea bass won resoundingly today!

It simply means I must grow stronger. I'll return with a stiffer rod and way thicker line and better fighting strategy. May the best man / beast win the next round. May God set the stage for the next big match. For now, I must indeed admit defeat.

No comments: