Thursday, September 24, 2009

At least something



Arrived at about 7am. Within a short time, the sky was pitch dark and the wind swept strongly. Thank God all my things are secured.
But I chose to battle on. I put on my trusty raincoat and got myself ready for the rain - which turned out to be only a drizzle.
I fished with left over baits of worms, prawns and a whiting. It is the whiting that yielded result.
This stingray bit my second serving of the fish fillet. But there was no ring. Only when I retrieved my line did I realised there was something heavy at the other end.
At first, it just felt like a piece of really heavy dead weight. So I just kept pumping it back. But as it was really heavy, like it was "scraping the bottom", I started suspecting that it might be a fish.
Finally, I felt some jerking. I started to get excited but stayed calm and kept on pumping back. At times, it felt like it got "sunken". But as I pulled hard, it gave way slowly.
Finally, I saw it! This "small" stingray! I thought it must be something bigger given the drag it produced.
Nonetheless, I'm grateful the trip yielded some excitement and some thing to bring home. :)

No comments: